Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Funny days

Brycen is such a funny little guy!! Everyday when he comes home from school he likes to eat a little snack before taking a nap. Usually I give him Nilla Wafers or Teddy Grahams (Cinnamon and Honey.. of course, they are his color); Teddy Grahams are his favorite. I open the bag and set it next to him so he will feed himself (we worked hard on getting him ok with reaching his own hand into the bag). It nevers fails... if he pulls one out that has a missing arm, leg or head, he will lay it to the side and go for another one. After he is finished, there is usually a small line of disfigured Teddy Grahams beside him!! It cracks me up!!
This morning before going to school, Brycen and I were sitting next to each other on the floor going over different letters he would find on various things (boxes, cards, etc.). He would identify the letter then look to me to receive praise for getting it right!! And he did!! Everytime, even the lowercase letters!! As if that was not amazing enough, he was using his index finger (open hand) to point out the letters he was identifying!! : ) Brent and I were SO excited and proud!! He is such an amazing little person!! : ) When I went to drop him off at school, he and I walked over to his aide and he actually let go of my hand and went to her!!! I could not believe it!! This is SO great! We looked at each other with open mouths, completely surprised and thrilled! She then told me that he was identifying letters in a word, "Well", and he was using his finger to point to the letters too!! Also, his teacher told me that he did the letters in his name too!! Such awesome, awesome progress!! : )
I am still working on getting Ainsleigh into therapy and I am researching other insurance companies to see if I could possibly get us a different insurance that is more "autism friendly". Or get us an insurance policy that is fully funded so that it will have to obide by Texas law to provide services to children with autism (HB 1919). Ainsleigh and I do little play activities each day to work on her gross and fine motor skills as well as her letters/numbers/etc. It is very hard to keep her focused on learning activities and she is so smart that no matter how creative I am in working learning into our activity, she figures it out! : ) I wish I could figure out how to make learning more fun for her than challenging!! Anything that presents as a challenge, she shies away from (even when she knows the right answer). I have two school meetings this month, one for Ainsleigh and one for Brycen. I am not so worried about Brycen's, but Ainsleigh's I am!! Please pray that the school will recognize that she has a disability and will work with me to help her!! I am so fearful of when she starts Kindergarden in the fall! I know that she will become overwhelmed and anxiety consumed if the school district does not implement a plan to help her in that setting. I had her transfered to Brycen's school, but I still have to meet with the educators at the school in our neighborhood. We'll see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment