Friday, April 17, 2009

Autism: Breaking Barriers (3)

This video discusses one story of a child with autism that "recovered". There is alot of controversy with this topic in the autism community. Most people know of Jenny McCarthy's son and her story that he is "recovered" from autism. The percentage of children who "recover" from autism is VERY low, and I find to be suspect. To me when I read about this, my first thought is always the same: they regressed then "recovered". I am always happy to hear of success stories of autistic children because I am always for progress, for success, for them!! But the skills were there at one time, so "recovering" those skills seems possible. But what about for those who never had those skills? That is our story and I would like to see if there is documentation on children born with autism (meaning shows signs from birth) who "recover". Brycen showed signs of autism from birth and did not develop typically. He never regressed because he never acquired developmental milestones then lost them. I pray every day that his progress will continue to grow, leaps and bounds, and that we never hit plateau. To me, Brycen is who he is! I want him to have a full, happy, wonderful life, but I refuse to look at him as though there is something wrong with him!! God made him the way he is and to want a cure or want him to "recover", to me means that I do not accept him for who he is... I am his mother and he is my blessing!! Now I know that comment brings alot of anger and contempt from some in the autism community, but it is my opinion and I am sticking to it!! Do I want him to develop, mature, progress? Of course!!!!! But I do not want him to "get better" because he isn't sick!!!! Neither is Ainsleigh!!! They were created the way they are and I love them and every single "quirky", "unique", "different" characteristic of who they are!! Some will say that I am in denial or naive, but those of you who really know me, know that those are not words that describe me! Anyway, that is my take on things and this is my blog, hahaha!!! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment