Wednesday, May 6, 2009

ISD vs. ME

Ok, so I know I have been VERY bad lately about updating everyone, so sorry!!! Here it goes... We had two ARD's with the school district (one for Brycen and one for Ainsleigh). Ainsleigh's did not go well. The school district, after reading the neuropsychologist's report, is sticking to their guns that Ainsleigh does not have an educational need for special education services (speech, occupational, etc.), and are taking the "wait and see" approach to educating her. I, of course, held to my guns that I do not believe in "waiting to see a child fail" before acting as a way of educating a child. We (Brent and I) decided to "play nice" and agree that we would enroll her without services set up, and "wait and see" how she responded to Kindergarten. The look of triumph was very short lived on their faces when I very "nicely" but in Wendi style "bluntly" let them know that I would be watching like a hawk and the second problems arose I would be on them (to quote an old teacher of mine) "like white on rice", but this time I would bring out the big guns (aka my bulldog advocate that is chomping at the bit to tear into them) if steps were not taken to give her the support she needs to receive her "free, appropriate education". Though I do not like the idea of going toe to toe with the ISD, I will do whatever is necessary to make certain Ainsleigh is not put in a situation that will cause her to fail.
Brycen's ARD went much better! He did not receive the in home behavioral trainer because (to put it plainly) he is not violent enough. I did not disagree and we moved on to our next agenda (the one I was really more concerned with) of Brycen's eligibility of ESY. He WILL be going to ESY!!!!! YEAH!!!! ESY is Extended School Year, and I really wanted this for him so that he would not lose the skills and progress that he has worked for!!!! He has progressed SO MUCH!!! He is really trying to talk and sing, and has a few words now that he can actually say!!! Most do not have meaning yet, but I am still SO PROUD of HIM!!! : )
I had Ainsleigh transfered to Brycen's school and the principal there as arranged for Ainsleigh to be placed in the Kindergarten class near Brycen's class with a teacher who has experience working with children on the spectrum. Also, the teacher and the principal reassured me that they would be talking with and including Brycen's teacher in decisions regarding Ainsleigh. This does make me feel better and I really hope it benefits Ainsleigh greatly!! We'll see and I'll keep you posted!! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment